My top five tips for preventing sports injuries would have to include:
- Incorporate a good warm-up and cool-down. This should involve good aerobic activity to get the blood and oxygen pumping around the body, followed by some dynamic mobility and stretching, and some stabilizing exercises of the body parts that you are going to be using. And a good cool-down is useful to pump blood and oxygen around the body and expel all that lactic acid. Also, incorporate a good, deep stretch routine to restore good range of motion within the tissue and the joint.
- Get proper coaching with a professional. Especially if you are new to the sport, and/or activity. Poor form and poor technique can really increase the chance of injury.
- Eat a balanced diet. This should include good fats, proteins, and carbs. And make sure to stay hydrated.
- Vary your training. Always incorporate core work into your routines.
- Rest and recovery. This is paramount. Make sure you are listening to your body.